Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Outlive Your Life-Max Lucado

As a foreword to this review I'd like to say that this book truly changed me.  In essence, my ideals have changed.  Whereas before I was dreaming to become successful, and still impact the Kingdom, but that was almost a tie between my personal dreams.  It's really put things in perspective for me.

Description:
It's a story of hillbillies and simple folk, net casters and tax collectors.  A story of movement that exploded like a just-opened fire hydrant out of Jerusalem and spilled into the ends of the earth: into the streets of Paris, the districts of Rome, and the ports of Athens, Instanbul, Shanghai, and the Buenos Aires.  A story so mighty, controversial, head spinning, and life changing that two millenia later we wonder:

MIGHT IT HAPPEN AGAIN?
Heaven knows we hope so.  These are devastating times: 1.75 billion people are desperately poor; one billion are hungry.  Lonely hearts indwell our neighborhoods and attend our schools.  In the midst of it all, here we stand: youk, me, and our one-of--a-kind lives.  We are given a choice...an opportunity to make a big difference during a difficult time.  What if we did?  What if we rocked the world with hope?
Worth a try, don't you think?

My Take:
The theme in this book is quite simple in theory.  Make your life a life that make a difference.  How many times have you heard that in the church arena?  Don't wave this book off, though.
I don't know if it's the authors 25 years of writing or if it's simply a gift, but he portrayed this idea in a way that really moved me.  It speaks of really changing the world for God, but it also makes it seem so practical.  That Christians just need to get up and do something.  Which is exactly true.
As you can probably tell by my review listing, I'm not one for writing reviews of non-fiction titles-so you understand when I say I don't really have much else to say.  But please don't skip over this book.  It is thirteen dollars on Amazon.  If you don't have the money go to your local library or if they don't have it, suggest they buy it.  You won't want to miss this book.

My rating:  5 Pens


This book was provided by Thomas Nelson Publishers.  The opinion expressed here is my own.