Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Infidel-Ted Dekker

To see my review of Chosen, the first book in the Lost Books Series, head over here.

Description:
After being stretched to their limits, the four heroic young Forest Guard recruits-Johnis, Silvie, Billos, and Darsal-are pulled into deeper danger on their mission to secure the seven lost Books of History.

 Celebrated as a hero, Johnis's world is shattered when he learns that his mother may not be dead as presumed but could be living as a slave to the Horde.  Throwing caution to the wind he rushes to her rescue.

But this is precisely what the Horde has planned.  Now he will face a choice between Silvie, whom he is quickly falling for, and his sworn duty to protect the Forest Dwellers.  How can he save those he loves without betraying his own people?

In the end, one will be revealed as the Infidel.  And nothing will be the same for the remaining Chosen.

My Take:
I can't say it was the most astounding, original piece of literature I've ever read.  That would be a lie.  It was quite the cliche plotline.  Boy goes after loved one.  Boy get's tricked.  Boy has to do something that he doesn't want because he was a fool.  I won't go into the ending, but suffice to say I wasn't all too surprised.
That said, a cliche book doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad book.  It was quite a suspenseful read.  One that kept me on my toes and wouldn't let me put the book down.  That's something I've found Ted Dekker to deliver in all of his books.
Sadly, the book didn't do much to bring itself to a higher value then it's former.  Speaking of which, you can find my review of Chosen here.  I was quite disappointed by both books when compared to the author's previous works.
Dekker did nothing to significantly raise the bar from Chosen, writing wise.  The P.O.V shifts remained and continued to appear every 10-15 pages without warning.  In this novel I begun to feel like Thomas Hunter should be the protagonist.  Not because of my preference of him, but because he felt quite highlighted in the novel.  Perhaps this was because he was the protagonist in the Circle Series and possibly in Immanuel's Veins and I had gotten attached to him-but I don't think that is the case.
The plot was quite intriguing at points, but was somewhat predictable which is never a very good thing.  Half of the previous book's cast were behind the curtains for the majority of the book, however the characters that remained got some much needed character developing.
Overall, it was a pretty good book, but not one that I'll be reading again any time soon.

My Rating: 3.5 Pens
Buy Infidel on Amazon