Saturday, January 22, 2011

Dragons of the Valley-Donita K. Paul

The Dragons of the Valley has one distinct flaw.  It failed to bring me in within the first hundred pages.  Considering that there are many readers who implement the 50-page [if they aren't intrigued by a book after 50 pages, their through with the book] this is a very big problem.  While that was a huge problem for me there was also the ever-present Donita K. Paul character flair.


All the characters were both lovable, relatable(sp?), and quite often humorous.  It would be very difficult for any person to not fall in love with the characters.  That said, it was also very interesting to see Ms. Paul switch protagonists from Tipper in The Vanishing Sculptor to Bealomondore in The Dragons of the Valley being that her characters were always the biggest point in her novels.  I don't think it was necessarily a bad or good choice, just interesting that such would happen.
On the plot-line I do not have much to say.  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't mind-blowing either.  It was very boring and dragging at times and wasn't anything too special for me.  It could be worse though.

Overall I give this book 2.5 out of 5 stars.  Yell at me if you want, this book just didn't do it for me.